The TGX Cosplay Cup Rules
Entrants application must include, via link to a Google Drive folder or similar:
- One primary reference image – clear and of as high quality/resolution as possible. This will be used by the Judges to score accuracy. Additional reference images may be supplied via the entrants portfolio / build book.
- Details and construction images of the costume to be entered. This can include a description of the techniques or construction methods, as well as materials chosen. (It is understood that this may not be a completed costume, so some allowance is made for in-progress elements.)
- Costumes must represent an existing character from the Video Game realm.
- This can include recognisable playable characters, NPC’s, etc.
- Both official art/screenshots and fan designs are appropriate, however the artwork must have been publicly available for 12 months prior to TGX and not created or commissioned by the entrant.
- At least 80% of the costume must be constructed by the entrant.
- Items such as wigs, shoes and small accessories are allowed to be purchased, but must be altered by at least 50% by the entrant.
- Base layer items that are inconsequential to the overall costume, such as underwear or stockings, are allowed to be purchased, but should be noted in the entrants portfolio/buildbook.
- Assistance from parties other than the entrant is not allowed
- Light assistance from others is acceptable. Eg. others holding items while the entrant paints, etc.
- 3D files or patterns not created by the entrant are acceptable to be used, however higher marks will be given to entrants who create their own. Use of such files, patterns, etc must be clearly stated in the entrants portfolio/buildbook.
- Costumes must abide by the TGX Cosplay & Prop guidelines.
- Costumes that have placed at other competitions, or won awards, are not eligible to be entered
- Entrants must attend a pre-judging session on the day of the event. The time and location will be provided to successful applicants ahead of the event weekend.
- Entrants must appear in costume to the pre-judging session.
- Entrants are required to provide a portfolio or build book at the judging session showing the construction process and references of the costume.
- It is required to include notes and details of alterations in regards to items not created by the entrant
- Finalists are required to prepare a stage performance, to be performed at TGX.
- This will be after the pre-judging sessions for all finalists. Times will be supplied ahead of the event including marshalling directions.
- The stage performance is required to be at least 1 minute in length, but no more than 2 minutes.
- The stage performance is the entrant’s chance to showcase the costume, character and engage the audience who may not know the source material or character.
- This can range from a series of poses, or a routine set to music.
- No additional items, sets or set dressing are permitted
- A performance is a great opportunity to showcase props, however this must be done in a safe manner and no projectiles are to be used, including thrown items.
- Any potentially dangerous moves in the performance such as stunts are not to be performed.
- Any power or lighting required must be contained within the costume and will not be provided by TGX.
- Music or background soundtrack must not use copyrighted music.
- Music is required to be full stereo of at least 192 kbps and MP3 format.
- TGX will test any audio ahead of the performance, but does not take responsibility if the provided files fail to work.
- The stage provided is approximately 8m x 4m with several stairs as access. Any updates or changes to these dimensions will be provided as soon as possible to entrants.
- If required, assistance is able to be provided to the entrant to get onto/off the stage in the case of large costumes, however any assistants must leave the stage and not be part of the performance in any way.
- TGX will reach out to finalists prior to the event to work through a short summary of the entrants performance as well as check music files, etc.
These details are yet to be finalised and are subject to change. If you have any specific accessibility requirements, please contact us upon acceptance.
The Game Expo is held at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre. Accessible toilets, ramps and lifts are available throughout the venue, including from the car park.
Pre-Judging will be held in a private room on the ground floor.
The stage will be accessed by 3-6 steps
- Entrants are responsible for all expenses related to competing including travel, and attendance pass
- Entrants must be 16 or over
- Written parent/guardian consent is required if the entrant is under 18, this must be included with the application
- Competition is not open to TGX Staff & Crew
- Applying does not guarantee entry to the competition.
- All finalists will be required to to sign a release form prior to the competition
- Selection of finalists will be at the discretion of TGX, and is final.
- TGX reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify The TGX Cosplay Cup
- TGX reserves the right to disqualify any individual found tampering with the entry or operating process of The TGX Cosplay Cup.
Judging will be based on:
- Accuracy (40%)
- Construction Quality & Technique (50%)
- Stage Performance/Presentation (10%)
The judges’ decision is final. Feedback will be able to be provided at the judges individual discretion, but only if requested by the entrant.
A total prize pool of $500 value, exact splits to be confirmed closer to the event!
The Game Expo (TGX) reserves the right to amend or add to these conditions at any time as may be necessary for compliance with any laws, regulations or directions given by the Owner of the exhibition venue, and generally for the efficient running of the event.